Express Entry Category
Check Your Eligibility

Express Entry is the new selection system for Canadian immigration, designed to select skilled workers for immigration to Canada. It is a completely electronic process involving the federal government, provincial governments, and Canadian employers.

The Express Entry system will be applicable to the following immigrant categories:

If you are a considered a Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), you may be able to qualify for immigration to Canada.

Requirements for Skilled Worker Eligibility
In order to be considered for the FSW program, a foreign worker must have ONE of the following:
• at least one year continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
• meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7
• a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree or equivalent

How are Skilled Worker Applicants Evaluated?
In addition to the work requirements, applicants are assessed on a number of different “factors” about their personal circumstances and are awarded “points” for each factor. Applicants are than evaluated on the six selection factors which determine their ability to adjust to the Canadian economy.

6 Selection Factors for Assessing Applicant’s Eligibility
1. their education
2. their abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
3. their work experience
4. their age
5. whether they have arranged employment in Canada, and
6. their adaptability.

An applicant must score 67 points out of a possible 100 to be eligible for the Skilled Worker visa. Individuals must also show that they have enough money to support themselves and their dependents after they arrive in Canada.

Under the recently created Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTC), one is able to obtain permanent residency in Canada by working in a specific trade. The objective of the FSTC is to meet the demands of the Canadian workforce.
Minimum Requirements to Qualify for FSTC Program
In order to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program, an applicant must:
1. Have offers of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body
2. Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization, demonstrating that the applicant meets the minimum threshold
3. Have obtained twenty-four months of qualified work experience in the skilled trade in the last five years; and
4. Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation.

Trade Categories:Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trade Program are categorized under these major and minor group of the NOC:
(a) Major Group 72: Industrial, electrical and construction trade
(b) Major Group 73: Maintenance and equipment operation trades
(c) Major Group 82: Supervisor and technical jobs in natural resources, agricultural and related production
(d) Major Group 92: Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
(e) Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
(f) Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration program aimed to help temporary foreign workers and foreign students to apply their work experience and education towards their applications for residency. The Canadian Experience Class supports the transition from temporary residence to permanent residence, taking into account the time that the international student or skilled worker spent in Canada while contributing to Canadian society.

Minimum requirements
The applicant must:
• have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
• have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization,
• meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),
• plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Skilled work experience
According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:
• Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
• Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
• Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

Your experience must be at least 12 months of full-time or an equal amount in part-time hours.

There is no education requirement for Canadian Experience Class. But, if the applicant wants to earn points for his/her education under Express Entry, the applicant either need:
• a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree,
• an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC

Language ability
The applicant must:
• meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs OR Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for NOC B jobs
• take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.